A RESOLUTION ADOPTING A NOT-FOR-PROFIT
ORGANIZATION FUNDING REQUEST POLICY
AND ESTABLISHING THE
NPO CONTRIBUTION FUND
WHEREAS, the Common Council of the City of Frankfort, Indiana, is committed to providing financial assistance to certain not-for-profit organizations or agencies that promote the City’s mission and provide direct projects, facilities or services to the City of Frankfort and its residents; and
WHEREAS, the Common Council finds that it would be in the best interests of the City and its residents that a written policy be adopted in order to establish guidelines and criteria for the City to fund programs and projects of not-for-profit organizations that compliment and promote the civic mission and purpose of the City of Frankfort; and to clarify the roles and responsibilities of both the not-for-profit organizations and the City of Frankfort; and
WHEREAS, the Common Council finds that a separate monetary fund should be established as a part of the Council’s annual budget process in order to allocate funds to be appropriated for making grants to eligible not-for-profit organizations;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED by the Common Council of the City of Frankfort as follows:
- The City of Frankfort Not-For-Profit Organization Funding Request Policy dated June 25, 2018, a copy of which is attached hereto and made a part hereof as Exhibit A is hereby approved and adopted.
- There is hereby created and established a separate fund within the City of Frankfort to be known as the NPO Contribution Fund to be utilized in the Council’s annual budget process for allocating and appropriating funds to be granted to eligible not-for-profit organizations.
Not-For-Profit Organization Funding Request Policy
From time to time, the City of Frankfort has been asked by not-for-profit organizations (“NPOs”) to contribute funds for charitable and service-oriented purposes.
The city has determined that there are circumstances in which a not-for-profit organization may be providing facilities or services that correspond to the purposes for which city funds may be expended. Such purposes include, but are not limited to the following:
- Public Safety
- Recreation and Cultural Enhancement
- Community Appearance
- Downtown Development
- Economic Development
- Sustainable Community Growth
The Common Council and the City Executive have both determined that establishing a policy regarding NPO contributions will provide for the equitable and consistent treatment of those requesting contributions and help to ensure that such contributions are used for purposes consistent with the city’s general authority.
II. Application Procedure
The Common Council has established a separate fund known as the NPO Contribution Fund to be utilized in the Council’s annual budget process for allocating funds to be granted to eligible NPO’s. Such contributions must provide substantial and material benefit to the Frankfort community and its residents. The following qualifications must be met for eligibility:
- The contribution will supplement and not supplant funds from the requestor’s primary funding source.
- The request must be made by an organization located in the city.
- The recipient of the contribution must be a governmental or quasi-governmental entity or a tax-exempt organization under Section 501 (c) 3 and Section 509 (a) (1) or (2) of the Internal Revenue Code that supports a public institution, program or facility.
- All requests must be submitted with documentation showing that the organization’s governing body (Board of Directors, or other) has reviewed the request and voted favorably.
Requests for donations must be made in writing on the applicant’s letterhead. Applications will be accepted from August 1st through September 30th. Applicants will be notified of funding award by November 1st. Such funding will be made available by the city Clerk-Treasurer in whole in part by January 31st of the following year.
Applications must contain the following information:
- Amount requested (there is no dollar figure limit for a request, but an amount authorized cannot exceed that appropriated by the city council through its budget approval process).
- Anticipated timing of the expenditure of the requested funds.
- Explanation of the benefits to the city and its residents which would result from thecontribution.
- If appropriate, degree of support, financial and other, from other community entities,municipalities, individuals
- Concise narrative describing the project for which funding is sought, the proposed useof the requested funds.
- Record of Governing Body (Board of Directors, or other) approval of the request
The recipient of any contribution must commit the funds to the use specified in written request and must be prepared to provide the city with a report and receipts documenting that the contribution was used for the purpose(s) for which it was approved if the city deems this necessary.
Contributions will only be authorized for the single budget year. Additional annual requests will require a new application each year.