The City of Frankfort Street Department has an immediate opening for a qualified Diesel Mechanic. Please see the description and qualifications below.
Responsible for performing skilled/mechanical work functions associated with repair and maintenance of city automotive and mechanical equipment. This position will work on multiple vehicles in our Street Department and will include diesel engines.
Essential Job Functions:
• Diagnoses, maintains, and performs general mechanical repair work on automotive and mechanical equipment.
• Inspects, tests and repairs engine components and systems, such as ignition systems, computerized engine controls, electronic fuel injection systems, steering systems, electrical systems, suspension systems, hydraulic brake systems, engine cooling systems, fuel systems, charging systems, starting systems, emission systems, air conditioning systems, etc.
• Performs general mechanical repair, maintenance, and preventive maintenance work, which may include dismantling, overhauling, repairing and reassembling engines, rebuilding/replacing transmissions, with a focus on diesel engines etc.
• Perform routine and preventive maintenance on equipment, vehicles and other machinery. Includes inspecting equipment, pumping fuel into vehicles, checking/replacing fluid levels, draining/replacing oil, changing/replacing filters, lubricating mechanical parts, installing/replacing blades, rotating tires, replacing tires/belts/hoses, checking batteries, greasing equipment, flushing radiators, performing tune-ups, etc.
• Operates a variety of machinery, equipment, and tools associated with servicing, repairing, maintaining and testing equipment, which may include a service truck, tire changer, computerized tire balancer, battery tester, air compressor, hydraulic lift, hydraulic jack, cutting torch, welder, grinder, drill, drill press, gauges, mechanic tools diagnostic instruments, etc.
• May operate various equipment and machinery associated with road construction, maintenance and repair projects, which may include a dump truck, front end loader, backhoe, roller, tractor, grader, snow plow, brush mower, etc.
• Tests machinery, equipment and parts for proper operations: reports problem situations.
• Performs general maintenance tasks necessary to keep machinery equipment and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, checking fluid levels, replacing fluids, greasing equipment, washing/cleaning equipment, cleaning shop and work areas, etc; monitors equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety; reports faulty equipment.
• May perform various manual work functions associated with mechanical projects or road construction projects, which may include transporting/hauling materials and equipment, cutting steel, mowing grass, replacing road signs, lifting/moving heavy materials, etc.
• Makes emergency service calls for disabled vehicles at job sites or on the road.
• Utilizes precautionary safety equipment and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals.
• Prepares or completes various forms, correspondence, reports, time sheets, and other documents.
• Receives various forms, reports, receipts, manuals, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
• Maintains records of service activities, fuel usage, odometer readings, warranty records, or other documentation.
• Communicates with supervisor, employees, co-workers, other departments, service representatives, vendors, the public, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
• Communicates via telephone and/or two-way radio, provides information and assistance; takes and relays messages or directs calls to appropriate personnel; returns calls as needed.
High school diploma or GED; vocational/technical training in mechanics; 1 to 2 years previous experience and/or training involving automotive/mechanical repair and maintenance; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
Must have diesel experience
Must possess and maintain a valid Indiana Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) including appropriate endorsements.Apply Now