Washington Ave Project Information Close
Monday, March 18, 2019

News & Updates

Free swim lessons June 25-27

YMCA’s Safety Around Water Program offered for area youngsters 

Frankfort, Ind. – Residents are reminded free swim lessons are available for area youngsters five years and older at the TPA Park pool Monday, June 25, Tuesday, June 26 and Wednesday, June 27 from 9:00 – 9:45 a.m. and 10:00 -10:45 a.m. with parents able to select one of those two time slots.

Those interested in having their children take advantage of the free lessons need to register at the Clinton County Family YMCA at 950 South Maish Road during the Y’s hours of operation: Monday – Thursday from 5:00 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Friday from 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Saturday from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

According to Parks Superintendent Travis Sheets, youngsters will learn essential water safety skills vital to helping keep everyone safe in the water this summer.

“Two children die from drowning in our country every day, so teaching children how to be safe in and around the water is a necessity,” Sheets said.

According to YMCA Operations Director Cindy Beebe, drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury death in children ages 1-14 years old in the U.S.

“There were 29 drowning deaths among those ages 0-12 in 2017, with an estimated 360,000 annual drowning deaths worldwide in all age groups. Of the 29 deaths, 79% were males due to risky, more daring behavior and more exposure to water, with the remaining 21% being female,” Beebe said.

The Frankfort Parks Department is partnering with the Clinton County Family YMCA and Center Township Trustee Kevin Evans’ office to offer the free lessons.