Washington Ave Project Information Close
Monday, March 18, 2019

News & Updates

TPA Park pool opens June 15; free admission June 15 and 16

Frankfort, Ind. – With repairs made, the TPA Park pool will open Friday, June 15 at 11:30 a.m., with free admission to all pool guests tomorrow and Saturday, June 16.

 “We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding with the unfortunate delay in our pool opening this season. To show our gratitude to the community, we are offering free admission to the pool on opening day and Saturday and hope everyone will come out and enjoy a fun, free day in the water,” Parks Superintendent Travis Sheets said.

Hours for the pool are Sunday – Saturday from 11:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m. The water slide will not be operational this season.

Daily cost for visiting the pool is $3/person with children ages two and under free. A single season pass is $40 and a family pass for four people is $100. Picture IDs are requested when applying for a family pass.  The pool is available for private parties seven days a week from 7:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. for a flat fee of $275.

According to Sheets, the Parks Department is partnering with the Clinton County Family YMCA and the Center Township Trustee’s Office to offer free swim lessons at the TPA Park pool for all area youngsters five years and older.

The YMCA’s Safety Around Water Program will be Monday, June 25, Tuesday, June 26 and Wednesday, June 27 from 9:00 – 9:45 a.m. and 10:00 – 10:45 a.m., with parents able to select one of those two time slots for their children to attend.

Those interested in participating can register at the YMCA at 950 South Maish Road during the Y’s hours of operation: Monday – Thursday from 5:00 a.m. – 9:30 p.m., Friday from 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., Saturday from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.

According to YMCA Operations Director Cindy Beebe, youngsters in the swim classes will learn essential water safety skills.

“Two children die from drowning in our country every day, so teaching children how to be safe around water is not a luxury, it is a necessity. Drowning is the second leading cause of unintentional injury death in children ages 1-14 years old in the U.S. There were 29 drowning deaths among those ages 0-12 in 2017, with an estimated 360,000 annual drowning deaths worldwide in all age groups.

“Of the 29 deaths, 79% were males due to risky, more daring behavior and more exposure to water, with the remaining 21% being female. Swim lessons save lives, so we are very pleased to collaborate with the Frankfort Parks Department team and Center Township Trustee Kevin Evans’ office to help keep our children safe in the water,” Beebe said.

As “America’s Swim Instructor”, the Y is the most accessible community resource to prevent drowning and encourage lifelong enjoyment of swimming. The Y introduced the concept of group swim lessons more than 100 years ago in 1909 and each year, the Y teaches more than a million children invaluable water safety and swimming skills.