Are you that Community oriented individual who wants to improve the City of Frankfort’s quality of life for our citizens? Are you that individual who loves to work with others and in an environment that allows you to be part of something bigger? If so, we invite you to read more:
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed in this document are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required to perform job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To work within the local community providing a point of contact with the Mayor and Council’s social initiatives, action plans and/or policies relevant to specific program areas for people who live, work and study in the City of Frankfort area.
Essential Job Functions:
This position will include planning, developing, coordinating, implementing and evaluating a range of community/social initiatives, as determined by Council/Mayor. These initiatives will be applied by using community development strategies (asset based community development) and working collaboratively with key agencies and develop sustainable partnerships.
These initiatives include, but are not limited to, projects involving community expansions, seniors, people with a disability, early childhood, families, youth, and community safety and volunteering.
The Community Development Director position has the opportunity to act in a Team Leaders role when required. When necessary, will fill in for the Mayor at events as directed.
The primary purposes of the position are to:
1. To apply asset based community development (ABCD) strategies to implement community initiatives.
2. To manage and coordinate community events and activities.
3. To work in partnership with the local community to support neighborhood and family networks, to facilitate local participation and access to facilities and services
4. To encourage local creativity, vibrancy and diversity.
5. To work with community services and other Council staff to achieve community development outcomes as adopted by Council.
6. To develop and maintain effective communication and foster partnerships with a variety of non-government organizations providing services in the City of Frankfort.
7. To develop and maintain effective communication links with the citizens of Frankfort including social media.
8. To provide policy advice to Council on appropriate initiatives, issues and legislation relevant to community development.
Scope of networks
Number of initiatives acted on
Successful implementation of events and programs
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Researches and applies for federal and state grants that facilitates community and business developments.
• Provides project planning and implementation by monitoring grants and project progress, verifying funding is used in accordance to regulation, managing community development projects, preparing semi-annual reports for submission, preparing project environmental assessments, and providing technical assistance to contractors.
• Assists in other Departments as directed.
• Prepares and administers community development budget by determining division expenditures for fiscal year, maintaining records of program income, assigning account numbers for projects, monitoring balances, approving expenditures, and recommending approval of budget transfers and amendments.
• Maintains relationships with commissions, boards, City Council, management, internal departments, private developers, and the general public.
• Works as liaison with RDC, Grants for Grads Program, SHARP, investigate local, State and Federal Grant Opportunities.
• Researches and assists in various projects to seek and develop business growth opportunities in the City of Frankfort.
• Assists as needed in the development, programming and planning of events in and around Frankfort that will have a positive impact on the lives of our citizens.
• Performs other duties as required.
Job Specifications and Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university preferred; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
• Managing projects;
• Preparing and presenting complex oral and written reports;
• Operating a computer and applicable software applications;
• Applying local, state and federal laws, rules and regulations;
• Reviewing and preparing development documents;
• Reviewing and developing effective written communication with the public;
• Interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
• Urban planning principles and practices;
• Land planning and development principles and practices;
• Report writing methods;
• Transportation planning principles;
• Project management principles;
• Applicable local, state and federal laws, rules, and regulations.
Licensing and Certifications:
• Valid Indiana Driver’s License.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants must meet the City of Frankfort’s criteria for an acceptable driving record.
Other: A successful applicant must live within Clinton County’s Center Township limits within 90 days of Hire.
Working Conditions / Physical Requirements:
• Positions in this class require: standing, fine dexterity, walking, lifting, carrying, sitting, reaching, handling, kneeling, pushing/pulling, climbing, vision, foot controls, balancing, bending, crouching, hearing, twisting, talking.
• Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds occasionally, 10 pounds frequently, or negligible amounts constantly AND/OR walking or standing to a significant degree.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of the positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Fair Labor Standards Act (exempt/non-exempt) is designated by position. The City of Frankfort actively supports the Americans with Disabilities Act and will consider reasonable accommodations.
If you are interested in APPLYING for this position, please click on the APPLY button and complete the application. Resumes may be sent to Human Resources ATTN: Jack Dodd, Director of HR, 301 E. Clinton Street, Frankfort, Indiana 46041 after completing the application or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful applicants will be contacted for follow up interviews mid to late January 2019. It is anticipated to have this position filled with a start date in February, 2019.