Through the collaborative efforts of the City and County Plan Commissions and the involvement of local service organizations, our mission is to improve the quality of life for all those living and working in Frankfort by improving ordinances and zoning regulations to clean up the community and attract more businesses and residents.
Frankfort has adopted MS4 regulations (EPA regulations regarding storm water), so if you have any questions regarding these regulations, please contact us at 765-654-5278.
Responsible for plan review, building permits, sign permits, inspections and zoning issues, the Department of Building Services team is happy to provide assistance in clarifying various codes, construction and zoning requirements. Our staff also is responsible for the enforcement of codes on all new construction and property maintenance code violations such as rubbish, nuisances and any other property maintenance issues.
(765) 654-5278 (office)
We are here to help! Given the nature of our services, we have a variety of forms available here to assist you with the permitting process and other procedures.
Sign PermitSign Permit Form
Property ComplaintProperty Complaint Form
Certificate of OccupancyCertificate of Occupancy Form
Electrical PermitElectrical Permit Form
General ImprovementGeneral Improvement Form
- windows and/or doors, when altering the size or shape
- decks or rampsof any style or application
- roofs including tear off, new and reroofs (including felt paper, drip edge, flashing, vents and ridge materials) – this excludes minor repairs of 99 square feet or less, metal flashing of 12 linear feet or less and vent repairs
- renovations(includes repairs and remodeling)
- repairing existing plumbing 10 feet or more, installation of new plumbing, including drain, waste, vent piping systems and water supply systems. STATE LICENSE REQUIRED, UNLESS THIS IS YOUR PRIMARY RESIDENCE.
- electrical wiring: installation of new and addition to existing circuits, electrical equipment such as panels or disconnects – does not include replacement of switches, receptacles, light fixtures and breakers
- new electrical services, temporary or permanent
- any structural renovation to any load bearing or non-load bearing members
- any repairs due to damage ( i.e. fire, water, collision, abuse)
- storage barns and/or sheds
- additions to any structure/building
- new house
- manufactured housing
- mobile homes
- fences (note: they cannot be placed on the property line, (but can be adjacent to the property line), must be on the property it serves and posts are to be placed to the inside)
- demolition (includes all demolishing work, concrete, buildings, paved areas)
- swimming pools, both above and in ground
- satellite dishes of more than four inches in diameter
- driveways (may be placed upon property line) and includes hard surface, concrete or asphalt
- sidewalks (public use installations)
Single/duplex dwellings – including manufactured homes
$200 plus $.02 per sq. ft. over 1,500 sq. ft. total floor area
$200 first dwelling unit $100 each additional unit
Mobile homes (in designated mobile home parks only)
Industrial – each structure and addition
$500 per building plus $.02 per sq. ft. total floor area
Commercial – each structure and addition
$300 per building plus $.02 per sq. ft. total floor area
Contingent uses (See Appendix A, 7)
$100 per building plus $.03 per sq. ft. total floor area
- Minor commercial renovations
$150 per building plus $.01 per sq. ft.
Communication/cell tower – Commercial only
- Remodeling, all repairs and renovations
- Partial residential renovations
- Minor residential renovations
Additions to existing structures including attached garages. Fee applies up to a total of three rooms. Greater improvements considered as (1) above (for residential dwellings)
$50 per room
Accessory items (no certificate of occupancy)
- Storage buildings
- Decks, ramps, porches
- Attached by roof
- Electrical (service, panel board and circuit install/revisions)
- Above ground swimming pool over 36” tall
- In ground swimming pool
- Demolition (structures only)
- All structures under 200 sq. ft.
- Parking lot commercial/industrial
- Wind energy system
$20 not to exceed 200 sq. ft.
No charge for directional signs (such as entrance/exit if under 15” x 50”)
Sign erection (no building permit involved)
Signs up to 32 sq. ft.
$20 per face
Signs or billboards over 32 sq. ft.
$1 per sq. ft. per face
Portable signs (residential)
Commercial and industrial
Application for Certificate of Occupancy
Commercial and industrial
Garage and remodeling
(Ord. CO-06-25, passed 1-8-07; Am. Ord. 11-08, passed 5-23-11)
Neighbors Helping Neighbors Program
Learn about this helpful program for our senior citizens and physically challenged residents.